Can Rock and Roll Save the World? Let's see...

As much as I hate to knock off my “Break Something For Abraham Lincoln” contest out of the top spot(http://delegatedan.blogspot.com/2008/09/contest-pick-something-for-delegate-dan.html) I have to do it. FYI: that contest is still going on… no winners yet… but I know I have some diligent viewers out there so stay tuned..

Upon watching the Dave Matthews Band close out their summer tour last night at the Greek Theatre, I got to thinking about all the awesome songs I have heard this summer - and over the last seven and a half years - that represent rally points for change.

Here is my idea:
From now until November 4th, I will remain hell-bent on doing everything I can from my blog universe to rally Obama votes in swing states. I have posters. I have bumper stickers.If you have a friend in this state who wants an Obama tshirt, I will buy for them and mail it to them. If they want an Obama coffee cups, it's theirs. I am offering to buy and send them anything Obama they want. We have to win these states.

Here is what I am offering:
1. To send anyone in any battleground state any Obama thing they want.
2. To send you, as a thank you for each person you "Obama-ize" in a battleground state, a CD of “Songs for Change”


Here are the songs that I have heard on the campaign trail for change:
"Better Way" Ben Harper
"Born in the USA" Bruce Springstein
"City of Blinding Light" U2
"Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I’m Yours" Stevie Wonder (played live at Investco field in Denver)
"Isn't She Lovely" Stevie Wonder (after Michelle Obama’s speech in Denver)
"Times they are a Changin''" Bob Dylan (covered by Melissa Etheridge in Denver)
"Sweet Caroline" Neil Diamond (after Caroline Kennedy’s speech in Denver… any excuse to hear this song is good one)
"The Rising" Bruce Springsteen (after Joe Biden’s speech in Denver)
“Yes We Can” Will I. Am and John Legend (played live at Investco Field in Denver)

Not my favorites, but I’ll include them because they are being used on the campaign trail:
"Change" Sheryl Crow (Played live at Investco Field in Denver)

"Still the One" Orleans (after Teddy Kennedy's speech in Denver. Lead singer from Orleans is actually a Democratic Congressmen now)
"Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow" (Bill Clinton’s theme song. Played yet again after his speech in Denver)
"Only in America" Brooks and Dunne (after Obama’s speech at Investco Field. A weird choice if you ask me… perhaps trying to reach out to some Red States)

And some personal favorite protests that I’ll throw in for the heck of it:
"Masters of War" written by Bob Dylan, covered by Pearl Jam
“World Wide Suicide” Pearl Jam (folks don’t know this is about Pat Tillman)
“Love Peace and Happiness” G Love
“Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution” The Black Crowes
"Government Did Nothing'" John Butler Trio
“American Baby” Dave Matthews Band
“Die Trying” Dave Matthews Band
“When The President Talks to God” Bright Eyes
“American Idiot” Green Day
“Not Ready to Make Nice” Dixie Chicks (Hell yes, I like the Dixie Chicks!)

*Any of you got some recommendations that you would like to share?*

And for your reference: Wikipedia has a really cool link about the history of protest songs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protest_song


~ T H E B A T T L E G R O U N D S ~
There are NINETEEN states that are very much up for grabs. Do not pay attention to "national percentages" - the election is going to be won or lost in each of these individual states:
(reference:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/maps/obama_vs_mccain/ )

The "toss up" / "grey" / "battleground" states:
New Hampshire
Virginia
North Carolina (Come on cousins!!!)
Florida
Michigan
Indiana
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Colorado
New Mexico
Nevada

There are also some that are "shaded" favoring one candidate, but are still much "too close to call":
Light Blue (Obama):
Oregon
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Pink (McCain):
Georgia
Montana
North Dakota
Missouri

I recognize the bizarre nature of what I am proposing. I taught High School Civics for ten years and I will be the first to tell you that the dated logic of the Electoral College has lead to democratic crisis that our government has failed to deal with accurately since November of 2000. It is a system that needs to die. I didn't write the rules. I don't agree with them. This idea represents my best effort, given the circumstances, to restore political sanity within an insane system.

Now who wants a free CD?

contact: dans321@hotmail.com






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

mccain/paulin get a 4 point bump
lead for the frist time

Anonymous said...

I really identified with your blog. In addition to songs, there is a culural theme that I can't help applying to America in the 21st Century that sort of fits with this theme; Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll.

I stumbled into a political cartoon that, in a twisted sense, kind of expresses the hopelessness I feel with our political leadership as the first decade of the 21st century draws to an end. Thought you might appreciate the cartoon, compliments of Cafe Press.

http://www.cafepress.com/usa21stcentury

Anonymous said...

it's not exactly a protest song, but ratm's "settle for nothing" seems pretty appropriate, especially for young people

Anonymous said...

also "another hero lost" by shadows fall. It's about the singer's cousin who died in iraq. check out the video on youtube; it's really depressing.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were a JBT fan! They're amazing live.

Jen said...

Hey Dan,
I found out about your blog through a former student of yours. This is GREAT! I'm a high school English teacher in MI, and I'm trying to get the word out on voting, etc. I have to be a bit circumspect in some of my blogging for various reasons. Keep up the good fight!

Dan's Top Postings From Denver I

1. Signs, signs everywhere there's signs The best story to come out of Denver was in the airport on the way home.
2. Yes we can. Yes we will” On the floor of Investco Field.
3. "For Brooke Elizabeth" The day Dan met Hillary Rodham Clinton..
4. “Two full days in nine hours and Snapfish pictures and storyline of Gavin Newsom's "Manifest Hope" Party in Denver
5. Numbers Notes from the Convention Center and information on two important voting blocks: Young voters and Hispanic voters.

Dan's Top Diatribes

1. "Lincoln" Dan sounds off on how the 21st Century Republican Party is no longer the party of Lincoln. To avoid further casual, conservative revisionism, he poses a unique contest of vigilance: winner gets to select something for him to break.
2. "Superman" Using his favorite superheroes in an analogy, Dan makes the argument as to why no Republican should win in November.
3. "Old Argument Odd Package" Dan breaks down John McCain's acceptance speech.
4. Russian Chess Masters" Dan offers a unique theory as to why Russia may have invaded Georgia.
5. “Can Rock and Roll Save the World? Let's see... This one isn’t a rant. It’s a plan.